July 25th, 2010
4pm (Event Time Line)
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
1111 O'farrell, San Francisco - Get Directions
In 1990 two San Francisco Lutheran Churches, St. Francis and First United, defied the policy that prevented openly GLBT individuals from serving as pastors when they ordained a gay man and a lesbian couple. As a result the two churches were expelled from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). More than 20 years later: 18 pastors have been ordained in defiance of the church, 3 pastors were removed by trial and and countless others were denied the ability to serve openly as GLBT pastors in the Lutheran Church. Now, the ELCA has changed its policies and on July 25th, the first group of GLBT pastors who faithfully served the church, despite their undocumented status, will be recognized by the ELCA. Seven GLBT pastors, from the Bay Area will be either received or reinstated to the ELCA roster of pastors.
Click here for Short Bios of all the Pastors or click on their names below for longer bios of individuals.
Received to the Roster Will be:
- the Rev. Paul Brenner a member of St. Francis Lutheran Church, San Francisco
- the Rev. Jeff Johnson of University Lutheran Chapel, Berkeley
- the Rev. Craig Minich of the East Bay Lutheran Youth Program (called by: St. Paul Lutheran and United Lutheran, Oakland)
- the Rev. Dawn Roginski formerly of St. Francis Lutheran Church, San Francisco
- the Rev. Megan Rohrer Executive Director of Welcome (called by: St. Francis Lutheran, Iglesia de Santa Maria y Marta, herchurch and Christ Church, in San Francisco)
- and the Rev. Sharon Stalkfleet, formerly of the Lutheran Ministry to Nursing Homes (called by St. Paul Lutheran, Resurrection Lutheran and Trinity Lutheran in Oakland and Trinity Lutheran Church, Alameda)
Reinstated to the Roster will be:
the Rev. Ross Merkel of St. Paul Lutheran in Oakland
Other Principal Participants in the Rite:
- Presider: Bishop Mark Holmerud
- Preacher: the Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber
- Celibrant:Nancy Feniuk Nelson
Clergy, seminarians and other professional leaders of all faiths are invited to wear robes or a symbol of their faith. Please arrive by 3:15 for vesting, instructions, a photo and to line up for the procession.
Color of the day is Green (though rainbow stoles are always in season)
Congregations and organizations are encouraged to bring banners for the procession.
Individuals wishing to send greetings about the event can send them to The Sierra Pacific Synod (PO Box 276648, Sacramento, CA 95827-6648)
- "Embracing the Church: Transgender Minister to be Ordained as ELCA Pastor," By Jill Callison, Argus Leader, July 22, 2010.
- "Lutherans Receive LGBT Pastors," By Matthew S. Bajko, Bay Area Reporter, July 22, 2010.